Note: Yahoo does provide free POP and SMTP access to its premium Yahoo! Mail Plus which requires a paid subscription. If you are one of those who has a Yahoo! mail Plus account, scroll down to the bottom of this article on how you can access Yahoo! Mail using Microsoft Outlook.
Note: If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2010, scroll to the bottom of the article for configuring Outlook 2010 to use Yahoo! Mail
How to access Yahoo! Mail using Microsoft Outlook
Step 1: Download YPOPs
You need to download a small application called YPOPs. YPOPs is an application that provides POP3 and SMTP access to Yahoo! Mail. YPOPs acts as a gateway between Yahoo! Mail and Microsoft Outlook. For those who opted for the new Yahoo Mail beta are good too to use this to access Yahoo! mail using Outlook. Download YPOPs from SourceForge.
Step 2: Install YPOPs.
When configuring YPOPs, while the default settings are pretty good, I like to customize them a bit.
* In Receiving Email, under download Email Category, I choose to select just Unread email to download so that I won’t download all the hundreds of emails I have.
* In Sending Email, I check Save email in Yahoo’s Sent Items Folder
* In Miscellaneous, it is good to check Automatically start YPOPs! when Windows starts so that you don’t have to worry about launching it everytime you launch Microsoft Outlook.
Step 3: Configure Microsoft Outlook to access Yahoo! Mail
* For Microsoft Outlook 2003, Go to Tools –> Email Accounts. Select Add a new email account. Click Next. Check POP3 and click on Next
* For Microsoft Outlook 2007 or 2010, go to Tools –> Account Settings and under Email click New… Under Add a new Email Account select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP. Then under Add new Email account, check Manually configure server settings or additional server types* Type your name under Your Name
NOTE: If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2010, go to Step 4 directly. Everyone else, please follow instructions below.
* Type in your Yahoo! Mail address under Email Address which is the full firstname.lastname@example.org
* Under Incoming mail server (POP3) type in localhost. (If localhost does not work type in 127.0.0.1 instead)
* Under Outgoing mail server (SMTP) type in localhost. (If localhost does not work type in 127.0.0.1 instead)
* Under Username type in your Yahoo! Mail address. For example if your email address is email@example.com, then type in asmith2233. Enter your Yahoo! Mail password and check remember the password
* Click More settings. Under Outgoing Server tab check My outgoing server(SMTP) requires authentication
* Click OK and then Next and then click Finish
Update Step 4:
Configure Yahoo Mail using Microsoft Outlook 2010
For Microsoft Outlook 2010, select IMAP from the drop down box above the incoming mail settings box.
- For Incoming mail: imap.n.mail.yahoo.com
- For Outgoing mail: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Click More settings
- Under Outgoing Server tab check: My outgoing server(SMTP) requires authentication
- Under advanced tab, using Server port numbers for:
- incoming server (IMAP) 143 with NONE for type of encrypted connection
- outgoing server (SMTP) 587 with NONE for type of encrypted connection